CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sight words...important or overlooked? (and a freebie)

I admit that there is little emphasis put on sight words in 2nd grade at my school.  I know how important it is for primary readers to master their sight words but it seems that with all the assessments we hate are required to give,sight words seem to fall to the way side.  On top of SAT 10 and FAIR, we give quarterly benchmarks and monthly writing prompts.  So,in my first two years of teaching I have wasted spent a lot of time figuring out how to fit in fluency and sight word checks.  I think I have figured it out!!  This little sheet will involve families in their kiddos learning and save me time in the classroom.  I opted for monthly because that seemed realistic to me.  I like this sheet because students can be tested right on the same paper that they take home to study.  So what do you think?  Do you have a cool way to stay on top of sight word checks?  Would you use a sheet like this each month?
 August Sight Words
If you like this, I'd love a comment and don't forget to follow me!
Happy Saturday :)
Sandy

5 comments:

  1. I send something like this home weekly. The kiddos have word bags where they keep word cards (sight words they write on index cards). They practice them at home and at school when they finish early. Our 2nd grade has 300 sight words they are accountable for learning how to read and spell.

    This looks great! I love DJ Inkers clip art. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using the cards for an early finisher, thanks for the tip! I'm thinking I should increase the number of words on my sheet now :)

    Thanks for following me as I grow as an educator!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to follow you...we can all learn from each other! I would love and be blessed if you followed me too! =)

    Does your district have a set of words you do each week?


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am following you! =) I am at a charter school and we do not have a list that we follow! I use the Dolch list and incorporate the 1st through 3rd words. I actually updated the sheet above and increased the number of words to 20! I am also going to use the cards that you suggested!
    I love your blog! =)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog!I’m your newest follower. Please check out my blog if you get a chance. Calling Plays in 2nd Grade.

    ReplyDelete